Wednesday, February 16, 2011

With Sympathy Card

     Unfortunately I have the need to make several sympathy cards this week. One co-worker lost her Dad and a friends daughter in law lost her mom. It's always difficult to know what to say as well as making a card that may be somewhat uplifting.
     The usual color scheme seems to be blue, lavender, cream or something serene. However in both the families I am sending these to, the passing of their loved one is a mixed blessing. Therefore I chose to go with something that is elegant, simple and use some brighter colors.
     The paper is somewhat of a damask looking pattern from DCVW "The Mango Frost" mat stack. It has an embossed texture with the hint of glitter. This is the standard 5.50" X 4.25" card that is layered with white card stock on a dark apricot card stock from Provo Craft. The border strip uses a Fiskar punch that mimics the background paper.
     Since this is a simple card with clean lines I used the Spellbinders Labels two and a rub on from My Favorite Things for the outside sentiment. I really love the embellishments from Creative Charms. The soft blue flower and the gradient gems are from this company. I also cut a small flower from one of my nestabilities by Spellbinders.The blue grosgrain ribbon was a left over scrap. (I love when this happens!).

     For the inside sentiment I used the Large Deckled Mega Rectangles by Spellbinders and the inside sentiment from MFT. I just used a chalk to just to highlight the embossed edge on the rectangle.
     Just a word about the stamps from My Favorite Things. Their stamps are fantastic! They are very detailed and have sets that have wording for the outside and inside of their stamps. It truly takes the guess work out of what to use for the sentiment. They have a birthday set as well as this sympathy set. There are several sayings and sentiments in the collection so you have better choices to customize your cards.
     I'd love to hear your thoughts on my color choice for this card.

1 comment:

Audrey Frelx said...

Isn't it so unfortunate we have to make sympathy cards. They're ones I always wish I "wouldn't" have to do. However, you did a wonderful job, yours is so pretty and the colors are really nice. I know they'll be appreciated -- and comforting!