Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Your My Checkmate



       Today the Design Team were to make a Valentines' Day card or use Distress Inks on their card.
         I chose to make both a "Love" card and use distress inks for a truly masculine card. After you see the details, be sure to check back at My Cricut Craft Room and see what the other members have to show you.
     I started with an easel card out of card stock. Since the card is 4.25" I used my Imagine to choose a square from the Imagine More shapes @ 4" and cut my first mat from charcoal card stock. I cut my background paper @ 3.75". I used the Vintage Papers pattern cart to have the background paper of chess pieces. Next I used Tim Holtz' paper distresser to rough up the edges and then inked with Pumice Stone ink.
     Now the fun begins! Using recollections colored core paper pad I cut the horse head @ 1.5". This image can be found in the Ornamental Iron cart under Font 1, it's on page 66. I also used the shadow feature. I flipped the shadow cut since it was a double sided card stock and the colors matched perfectly.
     The pawn can be either the one on page 64 or 65. It is a finial! I then used a cuttlebug folder. You can use any one that will give you a pounded metal look. After dry embossing the pieces I sanded them lightly with a sanding block and then inked with Antique Linen for an antiqued look.
     You can see how the inks really give a distressed look especially if you do some embossing.
     The tag was also cut from the Imagine More and layered. I pulled out some Just Rite stamps and made my own sentiment "You are my checkmate". I also had some rub ons and added the sentiment from Elizabeth Barrett Browning. A few gems for the corners and I am done. This card is perfect for Valentines' Day, Anniversary, Birthday etc. I think this is a keeper. Do you give your special guy cards? I'd love to know!

12 comments:

Doris P. said...

what an awesome card!! love the sentiment!! new follower too! - dt sis Doris

Laurie said...

I really like the colors on this card, very nice!

Sheila said...

Great card!! Very creative.

Sheila
http://2pawprints.blogspot.com

TeresaK said...

Very nice Mary! Thank you for sharing!

Connie Can Crop said...

This card is awesome! TFS!

Josie0602 said...

Fabulous card for a guy! I love the colors and the design!
Tracy

Liz said...

beautiful card, love all the detail you put into these

Gloria said...

This is wonderful!! love everything about it!
gloria c
www.craftnthings.blogspot.com

Kathy Salido said...

Mary,
This is fabulous!! I would love to make one like this for my husband, but don't have an Imagine :(. So glad you posted the link on Facebook!!
DT sister,
Kathy
http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

Jessica Kephart | A Homespun Affair said...

Mary I LOVE this card! It actually reminds me of my Daddy!! He passed away a few years ago, but we used to LOVE to play Chess :) TFS

xoxoxoxox

Jess @ www.homespunelegance.blogspot.com

Tiggerscraps said...

So cool!! Such a great idea
Marji

Unknown said...

Thank you for very usefull information.. Checkmate discount gift cards