Thursday, February 23, 2012

Recycled Crayons

     I thought I'd share a cute project to do with the kids home on winter break, making new crayons! While Mia's older brother was working on the crayon maker machine by Crayola, Mia and I made heart shaped crayons. This is a great project because it takes a while to remove all the wrappers from the old crayons.
     First you need a pan with the mini heart shapes. Next add all your smaller pieces. You can do them all the same color or try making different color combinations. Be sure to place the pan on an aluminum foil liner cookie sheet. You want to preheat the oven to 250 degrees and place on lower rack in oven for 10-15 min or until they are all melted. Turn the oven off and let cool long enough for them to start to harden. This makes it easier to remove the pan with melted crayons from the oven. (Don't ask me how I know, lol).
     Be sure to let them cool until they harden. The directions said you can just pop them out with a knife. WRONG. Ours were not easy to get out. So, I put the broken pieces back in the pan, melted them again etc. When they were set I put the pan in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then just flipped the pan over and they fell right out. So don't throw out those broken crayons, recycle!!!
     How cute are they: Mia and her crayons!!!

1 comment:

Marji said...

I did this with my daughter too! She loved it. We have a silicone mold and they flip right out.