Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Joan's Gardens week #1 Challenge

   Well with all the snow we got today (18" +) it was a great day to do some challenges. After the laundry was done, cookies baked and supper over with it was time to set about a challenge. Joan's gardens has some beautiful projects over there and I finally have the confidence to enter their first challenge of the year. First it had to include an animal or bird (check) had to use a floral back ground (check) a die of some sort ( check) and something out of your comfort zone (UGH!).
   One of my personal goals this year is to use up some of my stash of scrap paper. This background paper seemed to be perfect for the background paper. I also had this negative image leftover from  another scrap project. At first I was going to use a Spellbinder die but I really loved how this sort of looked like a sign so I went with a simple stamp "There's a song in the air".
   The easy part was to use an image from my cricut library French Manor for the bird and birdcage. Now came the hard part: something out of my comfort zone. Okay so I have a confession: I'm a hoarder. Yup it's true and one of the things I've been hoarding is anything by Tim Holtz.  So it was finally time to pull out the grunge paper and gold dabber paint. I love how this came out! What a great dimension this paper gives! Everything was inked with Ranger distress ink antique linen.
   I also decided to use a Martha Stewart punch for this beautiful butterfly. Of course the front would not be complete without bling so I added some pale blue rhinestones.
   I also love to complete the inside of my cards so I used the Spellbinders Labels Ten (3 1/2") size stamped the sentiment and then shaded embossed area with blue chalk.
   Not bad for a card made out of scraps! Great start to the New Year!!

No comments: