Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hang Ten!!!



     Are you ready for vacation yet, lol? Well I had an unexpected trip to Hawaii to help my daughter after some surgery. So when I saw today was Theme Day Thursday @ Erica's Craft Room, and that the theme was vacation I figured it would be the only way I would scrap any part of this trip.
     Please keep in mind that I am a card maker and am WAY out of my comfort zone yet I am so happy with how this turned out. It rained 12 out of the 14 days I was there however we did have one evening where we went to downtown Honolulu and went to this fabulous park.
     Where do I begin? This beautiful park had statues of a Queen who was reading books to children. It was surrounded with palm trees that were all light with lights. There were even lanterns hanging from the trees. I wanted to remember these so I used the Luau cartridge to cut the lanterns@ 4" wide and 1.861 high out of black card stock.. I then cut 3 sets of the layer feature @ 3.208" x 1" high from different colors. I used my Xyron X to adhere the layers, added some stickles and some black bakers twine. If you need some stickles, bakers twine or other supplies, please be sure to visit Erica's Shop, she has some awesome products over there.
      No matter where we went people make this hand gesture called "hang ten". It's sort of like waving high or goodbye. Believe it or not the Life's A Beach cart has the hang ten symbol, lol. The image is on page74 and I cut the main image @ 3.5" x 4" with the layers @ 1.792" x 2.569" for the fingers. I inked them while they were still on the mat then added pop dots to the fingers. The back side has journaling on it. Since I had saved the coffee wrapper it seemed like a good spot to tuck the hand in.
     Naturally I had to use the "Paradise" from Life's A Beach. You can find this on page 33 under Title words. I cut it @ 6" x 3.111. I wanted a blackout but this image didn't have one so ....CCR to the rescue! I sized it @ 6" x 3.125 and, using the edit button, I blocked out the center of the letters. Again I cut 3 sets out of different colors, then cut them apart to have a multicolored sign. I popped the letters in my Xyron X again (love this little machine!) and after everything is adhered added so stickles.
     This is a picture of how I set up my mat. I love designing in the CCR. Once I have it designed I just place the colors on my mat and cut!!
     This is the right hand side of the page. Notice the second set of lanterns in the top right hand side. I made a tag in the CCR using the Luau cartridge and the Hibiscus image. I cut the image  @ 2.25.
     This has to be my favorite element I created for this lay out! You can find this image on the Luau cart. I cut it @ 4.5" and cut the layer of leaves 3 times out of velum. The layers are separated by pop dots, adorned with stickles. The center has a brown pearl from creative charms.
     I hope I have given you a few ideas and please pop back over to Erica's Craft Room to see what the rest of the team has to show you.

12 comments:

Tonya said...

Fun layout! I love the colors and how well you worked with the background paper. Great job!

Sheila said...

Beautiful layout. I really LOVE your palm trees. So fun!!

Have an awesome day,
Sheila
http://2pawprints.blogspot.com

Desi Lee Designing Divas said...

You should make more pages this is very beautiful. I love the palm trees!
MCCR DT

TeresaK said...

Ahhhh, Paradise indeed! Take me next time?? LOVE the hand! Great layout Mary!
Teresa
DT sis

Sarah said...

What a wonderful layout Mary. I love all the details and the bright colors for the words. Super duper great!
Sarah
craftingwithsarah.blogspot.com
MCCR DT

angel4ever said...

This is such a beautiful layout!!!

DT sis ~ Tiffany

Kathy Salido said...

Oh Mary, if this was outside of your comfort level, you should stay there more often!! This layout is gorgeous!!!

Kathy
My Cricut Craft Room Design Team
http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I agree with Kathy,, you did a wonderful job. I am really liking the hand.

Jessica Buffa said...

Lovely LO...I really adore the hang ten hand holding the coffee sleeve!
:O)
Jessica S

cema1cema said...

Love this!! Christina

Christine said...

" Shaka " hand love it, and you do do scraping pages the best that I have seen. Don't know what u mean out of your comfort zone. So thankful to have you here to take care of me in a time of need. To bad it was raining close to the whole time you were here.. Love you

Christine said...

" Shaka " hand love it, and you do do scraping pages the best that I have seen. Don't know what u mean out of your comfort zone. So thankful to have you here to take care of me in a time of need. To bad it was raining close to the whole time you were here.. Love you