Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Good Morning my fellow crafters. Today is a different type of post, for me anyway. First, I am so happy to wish a happy 6th birthday to my grandson Nicholas in Florida. When he was born I told my son Mike and his wife Muirgheal that this was one birthday I would never forget. When they asked me why I reminded them that this was the day Pearl Harbor was attacked. Maybe not the best association but it only proves that life does go on. I had gone to Hawaii last March to help my daughter while she had surgery and the only thing I wanted to do was to go to Pearl Harbor before her surgery. Unfortunately the whole 2 weeks I was there it pored. We are talking torrential rains and even some "ice balls". Actually it was hail but, since they only have hail once very 100 years, they didn't know what it call these chunks of ice,lol!!! Due to all the rains, the site of the Arizona was obstructed by this reddish mud. However it did not diminish the fact that you were standing over the final resting place of these sailors. I will leave you with some pictures that I was able to take. Perhaps I will get these scrapped during the winter when the snow is flying.
The Arizona Memorial
Our solemn ride to the Memorial


The Entrance
Visible smoke stacks


oil still leaks today after 70 years

Those who lost their lives

Shows the memorial over the Arizona
Flowers from the people of Japan

Beautiful Leis

     Just as we will never forget September 11, 2001 and we should never forget December 7th. May these souls forever rest in peace






No comments: